If you are excited by the opportunity to build software that reaches millions of people, this may be right for you.
Hyperlink Web international, a Boston startup, is actively seeking a full-time web developer who possesses significant experience working on mid- to large-scale web applications that capitalize on open-source technologies.
The successful applicant will work closely with the Project Director to create new products and manage/optimize existing websites.
Apart from technical skills, the applicant is expected to have an excellent command of the English language, and the ability to code autonomously.
The below is a list of ideal skills that you would have when applying. Not having deep experience in all of these areas is fine. However, a desire to learn new skills and grow your career by working together with our team is essential.
- Highly familiar with front-end programming in HTML5 and CSS 3.0
- Paypal, Google, Facebook and Paypal APIs: You should be familiar with the server- and client-side SDKs of these common web services. We use these for payment processing, analytics, and user authentication.
- WordPress: A majority of our websites are powered by WP, meaning you will design themes, author plugins, and set up certain endpoints (REST, XML-RPC).
- PHPDoc/JavaDoc: Just as important as writing code is letting other developers know how your classes and methods work.
- PHPUnit / JUnit / Selenium: Apart from clean code, you should make production-grade, brute-tested code before shipping it to the team.
- Performance tuning: Given our rather large user base, you are expected to be familiar with at least one caching service (e.g. basic object/file caching libraries, Redis, Memcached).
- REST/XML services: You should be able to create endpoints to our web services so they can be accessed by apps and extensions.
- GIT: Above average proficiency collaborating code with teams, setting up hooks, and introducing workflows that improve efficiency.
- JIRA / Redmine / Basecamp: Experience with at least one of these project collaboration platforms.
- Linux: BASH savvy is important, as a lot of deployment and debugging work involves working with virtual private server terminals.
- MySQL or MariaDB: You will architect, optimize, and reengineer database schemas. A degree of fluency with advanced functions is preferred.
- Attention to detail: Telling us about spelling or grammar errors in this job post is welcome an the interview.
- Java J2EE 7 & Spring Framework: Our flagship project runs on the Spring Framework, meaning we’ll devote a lot more time on it than other projects. You should also be comfortable deploying and configuring Tomcat / Glassfish / Jetty containers.
- Jenkins: Knowing GIT is half the story. Strong knowledge of continuous integration is highly preferred.
- Drupal: We will start using Drupal on a large scale very soon, and experience in developing themes and extending community modules certainly piques our interest.
- Chrome extensions/GreaseMonkey scripting.
- PostgreSQL: Not as important as MySQL at this point, but considered an added advantage.
- PHP MVC frameworks
- Symfony2: A Symfony certificate is deemed the highest qualification, but if you have a suite of repositories or production websites powered by Symfony, feel free to brandish.
- Laravel: Just as relevant as Symfony2 (if you already know it).
- CodeIgniter: Some of our current projects use CodeIgniter. We do not actively use CI anymore, but experience in its considered an advantage.
- LESS/SASS: A definite advantage is if you can recompile and extend Bootstrap / Foundation themes using tools like Node.JS and/or Ruby.
- Adobe Photoshop: For asset creation and photo manipulation.
- Adobe Fireworks: For prototyping projects and creating GIF/PNG assets.
- AngularJS: For creating fluid back-ends. This goes hand-in-hand with Symfony. Not required but a major plus.
- Schema.org / Microformats: We prefer a developer who understands the value of the semantic web.
- W3C-compliant code: Syntactically correct HTML5-compliant code is the foundation of better search results.